The Supreme Court in the instant judgment held that the High Court can direct the CBI to investigate a cognizable offense which is alleged to have taken place in the state, which is outside its jurisdiction. The Supreme Court also deals with the issue of Federal structure doctrine, the concept of judicial review and much more.
State of West Bengal & others v. Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights, West Bengal & Others.
Civil Appeals No.- 6249-50 of 2001
Before the Supreme Court of India
Bench: K.G. Balakrishna, C.J., R.V. Raveendran, D.K. Jain, P. Sathasivam and J.M. Panchal, JJ.
Author of the Judgement: Justice D.K. Jain
- Constitution of India- Article 226, Article 142
- Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946- Section 5 and Section 6
- Indian Penal Code, 1860- Sections 148/149/448/436/364/302/201
- Arms Act, 1959- Sections 25/27
- Explosives Act, 1884- Section 9(B)
Decided on: February 17, 2010